If you need a little help writing a letter to Brampton’s MPs in support of An Act to Establish a National Cycling Strategy, here’s a template you can use. Feel free to change it as you please to make it personal to you.
Please Send Email To
Honourable Brampton Members of Parliament.
I’m [insert name here]. I’m emailing to express my support for MP Gord Johns private Member’s Bill C-312: An Act to establish a national cycling strategy.
The benefits of a national cycling are many, including:
- Encouraging more Canadians to choose cycling as their mode of transportation;
- Improving national safety standard measures, and design standards
- Supporting the cycling industry in Canada, including manufacturing, sales, and service sectors
- Broader availability of education for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
- Bringing all levels of governments together with cyclists and industry to build a plan that will encourage more Canadians ride bicycles.
I agree with Gord that a National Cycling Strategy will lead to a healthier society, more livable communities, safer cycling options, reduced congestion, and significant savings for our healthcare system.
[Insert any personal points you want to make to support a national cycling strategy]
Thank you for your support.
[insert name here]
Some exciting news!
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016, MP Gord Johns (Courtenay-Alberni) introduced a private Member’s bill to establish a National Cycling Strategy.
The goals of a national cycling strategy are:
- Commit the federal government to set clear targets for expanding cycling infrastructure;
- Encourage more Canadians to choose cycling as their mode of transportation;
- Improve national safety standard measures, such as side guard rails for trucks;
- Support the cycling industry in Canada;
- Increase education for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
- Bring all levels of governments together with cyclists and industry to build a plan that will encourage more Canadians ride bicycles.
- Encourage cycling tourism
How To Support This Bill
- Sign the online petition.
- Download, print and sign this paper petition. Circulate it in your neighbourhood, your community, among your friends and family. Once it’s filled out, mail it (postage free) to MP Gord Johns, House of Commons, Ottawa ON, K1A 0A1.
- Write to your MP in support of MP Gord Johns private Member’s bill, and urge your community members to do the same. See below for a list of Brampton’s MPs.
- Share this post on Facebook and Twitter.
Sonia Sidhu, Brampton South
24 Queen Street East, Suite 600
Raj Grewal, Brampton East
1 Gateway Blvd., Suite 204
Kamal Khera, Brampton West
35 Van Kirk Drive, Unit 10
Ruby Sahota, Brampton North
50 Sunny Meadow Blvd., Suite 307
Ramesh Sangha, Brampton Centre
100 Kennedy Road S,
Many other OECD countries have already adopted cycling strategies and have seen a significant increase in cycling as a result. Canada lags behind in many cycling indicators, including the number of children who cycle to school which remains at 2%. Whereas in Germany, 15% of children cycle to school, and in the Netherlands 50% of children cycle to school.
What About Winter?
Cycling is possible in winter, with the right preparation.
Germany and the Netherlands are 2 examples of “winter countries”. Finland is another impressive example. While nationally, Finland enjoys a modest 11% cycling rate, the city of Oulu is something special. Located about 193 km from the Arctic Circle, Oulu has a 32% cycling rate in the summer, and retains an 12% cycling rate in winter. Several cities in Canada already encourage cycling in winter, including: Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.
Together, we can make Canada a cycling nation!