The Pedalwise Owl is looking for you! Become confident and ride with a mentor.
We want to help you use a bicycle for short trips instead of using a car. You can use your bicycle to get to public transportation too.
Each Pedalwise participant is given a mentor, who is an experienced cyclist. Mentors will help you choose less travelled roads and paths, giving you riding tips and even come with you as you ride a new route. The Pedalwise program is FREE!
Do I need to know how to ride a bike?
You need basic bike riding skills. (We can organize a few lessons with a CAN-BIKE instructor to get you going if you have no experience riding.) Pedalwise is meant to help you develop community cycling knowledge. Ride a bike to destinations in your neighbourhood. Shop, dine, errands, commute — all by bike. Be active with your family year-round. Meet new friends. Become healthier. Enjoy nature. Help reduce traffic congestion. Reduce your carbon footprint.
Who can join Pedalwise?
Residents of Region of Peel, 16 and older are welcome. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
What costs are involved?
Pedalwise is free. A small deposit is required for loaned equipment. Participants under 18 must have and use a bicycle helmet, as per provincial law.
Do I need a bicycle?
Yes. You need a bicycle that is the proper size and that fits you comfortably. Pedalwise has a limited number of used bicycles which have been generously donated, which are available on a first-come/first-served basis. A refundable deposit of $40 is required for borrowing one of these bikes. Lock your bike when not in use — it is good habit! If you have borrowed a bike, it is expected that if it were to be stolen, you would report it to the Police. You would present us with a police report.
How fit do I need to be? What skills do I need?
You only need to be able to ride short distances safely. Pedalwise focusses on trips of 5 km or less, although there will be opportunities for longer rides if you choose.
How many hours are involved in Pedalwise participation?
That is up to you and your mentor. Our objective is for you to take at least three trips by bike per week, that would have otherwise been taken by car. Bicycle trips can be combined with public transit.
What are my responsibilities?
Ride as often as you can. Complete the surveys and track your trips using the forms and equipment provided. Contact your mentor at least twice a month. Have fun riding!
The Pedalwise program is part of the Brampton Bike Hub. All users of Brampton Bike Hub’s BikeWrx drop in are asked to join Pedalwise, no matter the level of mentoring they might need (a little, lots or none at all).
Cycling Data is King (Queen)…
Pedalwise has been made possible by an Environment and Climate Change Canada EcoAction grant. We need to collect data on our cycling trips to show how much carbon we collectively offset by choosing to ride our bikes instead of driving the car. Even though how we FEEL about cycling counts significantly, having the DATA shows proof of our success!
Track your Cycling Trips on ‘Strava’
- Sign up for a FREE Strava account on your computer to record your kms cycled. If you have questions, your mentor can help you.
- Make sure you set Strava privacy settings according to your personal comfort level. Lisa has prepared a clear step-by-step Strava privacy process to help you make your privacy decisions.
- Download the Strava app onto your smartphone and pair it with your account on your computer. Some members of our group have had success with downloading the Speedometer GPS app onto their Blackberry, since the Strava app is not available. It can be paired with your Strava account on your computer.
- Every time you ride your bike, you start Strava at the beginning and stop at the end of your trip. It is important to log your trip as a “commute”.
- Next step is to join our Brampton EcoAction Club so your data can be gathered along with the other members.
- The Bikeport by Kevin Montgomery will include your Strava data in our Brampton EcoAction Club totals, once you
- Authorize The Bikeport Cycle Survey to complete your registration.
- You can view our statistics as we pedal our way to a greener community!
- (if you do not have a smartphone, we have a GPS tracker device available for a small deposit)
For more information, contact David at email@example.com
Pedalwise was launched on December 6, 2017 at the Brampton Bike Hub, in space provided by our local partner, PCSH, at 50 Sunny Meadow Blvd. Unit 108.
Pedalwise mentor and her protégé cycled on their first ride together, to the Brampton Bike Hub BikeWrx drop in.